Sunday 20 January 2008

If I were a ...

Have you ever wondered what you'd rather be? I don't mean in the sense of your occupation or ambitions, I mean in terms of the organism that you are. If you are reading this, I would assume you are a Homo Sapien. So, my question is, have you wished you could be anything but?

I reckon it would be fanstastic to be a bird! Rain or shine, you get out. Find some food, sometimes a reasonable shelter and eventually a mate, and ensure the safe passage of genes onto the next generation, and then find some food, and maybe shelter and a mate...you get the picture? And of course you get to fly miles and miles, no passport, visas or any of the hassle. No baggage, no clothes to worry about, just preen the fantastic feathers and look smashing.

It must be rather cool (literally too) to be a fish, especially if you were like Nemo and got to live on a coral reef! Oh, so beautiful!! Of course, you just would have to listen to Daddy and never wander too far off the shelf.

I also did consider elephants, but knowing what they are going through, it would be mighty dangerous to be one of them right now. I know quite a few of my fellow H.Sapiens that walk around with a piece of an elephant on them. I don't fancy that.

Come to think of it, there are a lot of creatures I'd rather be, but not in the present circumstances, not at the rate at which we are wiping them off the planet, and how much harder we are making it for them to get by. Since it is my kind that is doing this, I certainly am not proud to be one of the so called 'intelligent' species. Unfortunately, since I am what I am, and there is not a lot I can do to change that, what am I going to do to help the creatures I would rather be?

3 comments:

Songshards said...

So glad you're blogging! Keep it up la!

I see what you mean but I'm not sure it's safer being a bird rather than an elephant. :-) What about the martens that eat your chicks or the ferral cats or birds of prey that are constantly after you?

Most H. Sapiens may lack sapienta but don't give up on them. I think with all their short comings I'd rather be one of them if I can make a difference - however small. What say you?

The Dork said...

I did think about the possibility of predation. But predators would want to eat me to meet one of their needs. Humans "want" way more than they need, and that is what is eating into the habitat of our furry and feathered friends. I agree with you though SS, I am sure we can make a difference, at least by changing a light bulb...too much David Suzuki in my head at the moment :-).

Songshards said...

I used to love watching David Suzuki's science programmes as a kid. He made science easy and fun - which in my book is quite an achievement!